DM - Neurology, MD - Medicine, M.B.B.S.
Address: Fortis Hospital
, Phase 8, Mohali, 160062
Experience: 43 years
Languages: English, Hindi, Punjabi
Dr. Sudesh Prabhakar, MBBS, MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology), having copious experience of 43 years in the field of neurosciences, is the Director of Neurology department at Fortis Hospital, Mohali. Prior to that, he had served prestigious PGIMER, Chandigarh for 42 years.
Dr. Prabhakar is an alumnus of MDU, Rohtak, where he completed his basic medical studies and then he attained his MD(Medicine) & DM(Neurology) from the renowned medical institute, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh.
Dr. Sudesh Prabhakar has rich experience in the management of strokes, headache, epilepsy, Parkinson's disease and Dementia.
His expertise areas include:
- Neurological Diseases
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Neurological Disorders
- Movement Disorders
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Paediatric Neurology
- Emergency Medicine
His field of research includes Stem cell treatment in MND, Treatment of Dementia, and diagnosis of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. To his credits he has contributed 146 National Intended Journals, out of which he has presented 68 journals in various conferences. Apart from this, he has contributed around 48 international journals & 28 chapters in books related to the neurosciences.
Dr. Prabhakar is an active memeber of various professional associations and held various positions in these associations/ societies as elaborated below:
- Founding Fellow - Indian Academy of Neurology
- Life Member - Neurological Society of India; Indian Epilepsy Association; Indian Epilepsy Society; Indian Medical Association
- Member of - International Stroke Society & World Federation of Neurology.
Elected Office bearer in the following Professional Societies / Associations:
- President - Neurological Society of India (2009-2010); President Elect - Neurological Society of India (2008-2009); Indian Academy of Neurology (2004-2005); Indian Medical Association, Chandigarh State Branch (1999); Faculty Association, P.G.I.M.E.R., Chandigarh (1997-98);
- Vice President - Indian Academy of Neurology (2003-2004); Indian Medical Association, Chandigarh State Branch (1998); Chairman - IMA College of Medical Specialaties (2002);
- Secretary - Indian Academy of Neurology (2000 2002); Indian Medical Association, P.G.I. Branch (1994-1996); Association of Chandigarh Neurologists (1990-2000); PGI Neurological Society (2001 onwards);
- Treasurer - Indian Academy of Neurology (1992-2000); Faculty Association, P.G.I.M.E.R., Chandigarh (1994-1995); International Conference on Organisation and Delivery of Neurological Services.,New Delhi, 1994.
Experience in Organising National & International Conferences:
- Organising Secretary - 3rd Annual Conference, Indian Academy of Neurology, Chandigarh,1995; 52nd Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India (NSI), December 2003, Chandigarh; International E.E.G. Course, December 2003, Chandigarh
- Chairman - Brain Matters – 2005 (CME 2005); Brain Awareness Week – March 2006; Epilepsy Day – April 2, 2006; International Symposium on Epilepsy & Indo Pak Neuroscience; Colloquium, February 11-13, 2007 at Chandigarh; TROPICON – 2009; Indo US Stroke Conference – December 2010